[vtkusers] Window events on Mac OS X

Peter Eastman peastman at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 4 15:15:36 EDT 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 12:00 PM, Mike Jackson wrote:

> Are you creating an .app bundle or just one gigantic binary with all
> static libraries? I ask because you may need to be running "Rez" on
> your executable after compilation.

What I'm creating is an executable which links to a bunch of dynamic
libraries installed in a standard location.  I'm not creating an .app
bundle.

I guess I should give some background.  What I'm actually working on
is a library, not an application (see https://simtk.org/home/
simtkcore).  This is a cross platform library (supporting Mac,
Windows, and Linux) targeted at computational biologists.
Applications using it will generally fall into two categories:

1. Command line applications that run a simulation and write results
to files, often without displaying any kind of UI.

2. Large graphical applications that provide their own UI and make use
or our library for low level computation.

As you can see, UI isn't really the focus of this library.  It's about
computation, not graphics.  For debugging, though, it can be very
useful to visualize what's going on in a simulation.  We therefore
provide some simple visualization features based on VTK.  Add one line
of code to your command line application, and it displays a window
with a real time animation of what's happening in your simulation.
That's what I'm trying to make work.  And it needs to work for
scientists who only know about writing Unix style command line
applications, and who may be developing on one platform and expecting
their code to work on others as well.

> Does the window/Application come to "front" when clicked?

No, it does not.

Peter