[vtkusers] How suitable is VTK for 'live' display during an experiment?

Andrew Gregory Andrew.Gregory at npl.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 10:44:30 EDT 2007

I am planning an experiment that will involve raster scanning in two dimensions using motors, typically with 200 points in both X and Y directions.
At each point in the scan I would like to plot a pixel in a colour given by a measured signal. The experiment will be quite slow so pixels should be plotted 'live', i.e. during the experiment rather than afterwards.

Can anyone tell me if VTK is a good choice for this problem - or recommend something more suitable?
Is there a demonstration script that uses 'live' plotting of pixels.

Python is my preferred programming language, preferably with Tkinter or GTK+.
I've never used VTK and know little about it, but I could not find an answer to this question in a quick search of the archives.

Andrew.

http://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/
privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only.
If you are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or
disclose such information.

NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any
attachments are free from viruses.

NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
Registered Office: Serco House, 16 Bartley Wood Business Park,
                   Hook, Hampshire, United Kingdom  RG27 9UY