[vtkusers] vtk-Mesa issue : Black image

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Sep 24 09:39:38 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 13:36 +0100, sha1 at doc.ic.ac.uk wrote:
> Quoting "Kevin H. Hobbs" <hobbsk at ohiou.edu>:
> > Did you mangle Mesa, or just compile it with something like "make
> > linux-x86-64"?
> >

> I did compile vtk with the various Mesa settings in place as they do
> vtk website How I Mangled Mesa with vtk.

Mangled Mesa seems to be less and less useful as time goes on. It's only
purpose in VTK is to link against both a hardware accelerated libGL that
does not support offscreen rendering, and a copy of Mesa that does not
support hardware acceleration but does support offscreen rendering. More
and more GL libraries support offscreen rendering (or so I hear). I've
never successfully made mangled Mesa work. For me it is easier to just
have two copies of VTK/ParaView one linked against my card's proprietary
libGL and one linked against Mesa built without DRI and thus with
libOSMesa.

Offscreen rendering works great for me with VTK linked against pure
Mesa.