[vtkusers] how to display point cloud with VTK?

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon Sep 24 07:52:04 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:51 +1200, jim yu wrote:
> hi, guys
>
> i want to display point cloud. i know the points could be represented
> by vtkPolyData. i create the vtkPoints into which i insert several
> points. but nothing is displayed.

vtkPoints are not rendered. Only "cells" are rendered. The cell type you
want is a "Vertex". You need to create a vtkPolyData, add your vtkPoints
to it, create a vtkCellArray that defines each point as being part of a
vertex, and add your verts to the poly data, and I think you should be
set.

It looks like vtkVertexGlyphFilter could do what you want, so can
vtkMaskPoints.