[vtkusers] About depth between two surfaces

wen li limosquito at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 18:24:34 EDT 2007

Hi,

I use VTK to generate surface of MRI images. There are two surfaces
generated from orginal MRI image with different threshold in Marching Cube
Filter, so the surfaces have the same topology.

Now, I have to calculate the depth between these surfaces. Here is my method
to get it.

First, for each point in surface1, find the closest point in surface2 with
vtkPointLocator.

Then, calculate distance between the two closest points, and save the
distant value in a new polydata set.

But, I am afraid the program will be time-expensive, for we all know that
MRI images have huge number of points. If there is any fast way to get the
depth? or is there any class I can use to calculate this kind of measurement
between two polydata?

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Wen Li