[vtkusers] Advice on preprocessing before surface rendering

Carl Henrik Westerberg henrik.westerberg at crg.es
Wed Sep 19 06:53:18 EDT 2007

Hello Martin,

You can try passing your data through a Gaussian Filter which will smooth out some
your noise:

smImg = vtkImageGaussianSmooth()
smImg.SetDimensionality(3)
smImg.SetRadiusFactors([1.0,1.0,1.0])
smImg.SetInput(srcImg.GetOutput())

Also you can try setting the threshold in Marching Cubes to a higher value to see
if you can remove some of the noise that way.

If you decimate that can also alter the look of noise.

I don't know how big your data sets are but I typically have to subsample my data which
also removes a bit of noise. But I do this step in a seperate program outside of VTK.

There are also software packages out there that allow you to manually edit image stacks.

Otherwise getting the trade-off between noise and data involves a lot of trial and error.

regards,

Henrik