[vtkusers] visualizing scattering of random points

Patrick Birch lost_bits1110 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 17 22:53:27 EDT 2007

Hi

Thanks so much for your responses!

I will try vtkParticleReader first since I've never actually used ParaView.

>From the posts I have been reading, it seems that  vtkParticleReader only takes in binary format data, is this right? In this case the input file would have a format of:  x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 x3 y3 z3... but in binary, correct?

Also, in order to colour code each point, I would like to assign scalar values, however this is usually done on derivatives of the class vtkDataSet,  vtkParticleReader only has an output that is a vtkDataSet, is it still possible to "SetScalars"?

For example:

ParticleReaderObject->GetOutput()->GetPointData()->SetScalars( FloatArrayObject )

Thank-you kindly and best regards,

-PB