[vtkusers] What Is Off-Screen ?

Sylvain Jaume sylvain.jaume at kitware.com
Mon Sep 17 11:49:33 EDT 2007

Mark,

I'd like to add this:

Currently you can do offscreen rendering on Linux with hardware
acceleration but a window will pop up. To avoid this, you need to link
VTK with Mesa *and* turn on the OSMESA option when configuring VTK with
CMake.

In the vtkOpenGLHAVSVolumeMapper, offscreen rendering means that the
rendering happens in a framebuffer object smaller than or equal to the
screen size. As a final step, the colorbuffer of this framebuffer object
is mapped to the full size of the screen. This allows image-based
level-of-detail to meet interactive rendering.

For references about the HAVS algorithm and the level-of-detail
algorithm, I'd point you to these papers:

"Hardware-Assisted Visibility Sorting for Unstructured Volume Rendering"
by S. P. Callahan, M. Ikits, J. L. D. Comba, and C. T. Silva, IEEE
Transactions of Visualization and Computer Graphics; May/June 2005.

"Interactive Rendering of Large Unstructured Grids Using Dynamic
Level-of-Detail" by S. P. Callahan, J. L. D. Comba, P. Shirley, and C.
T. Silva, Proceedings of IEEE Visualization '05, Oct. 2005.

Sincerely,
Sylvain