[vtkusers] ImageData Sets

Prashanth Udupa prashanth.udupa at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 09:42:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

I was creating a image source (subclass of vtkImageAlgorithm) which
conceptually looks something like this.

int vtkCustomImageSource::RequestData(
            vtkInformation *vtkNotUsed(request),
            vtkInformationVector **vtkNotUsed(inputVector),
            vtkInformationVector *outputVector
        )
{
    // get the info object
    vtkInformation *outInfo = outputVector->GetInformationObject(0);

    // get the ouptut
    vtkImageData *output =
vtkImageData::SafeDownCast(outInfo->Get(vtkDataObject::DATA_OBJECT()));
    output->SetDimensions(10, 10, 1);
    output->SetNumberOfScalarComponents(1);
    output->SetSpacing(1,1,1);
    output->AllocateScalars();

    vtkIdType index = 0;
    for(int i=0; i<10; i++)
    {
        for(int j=0; j<10; j++)
        {
            for(int k=0; k<1; k++)
            {
                double* point = output->GetPoint(index++);
                double dist = sqrt( point[0]*point[0] + point[1]*point[1] +
point[2]*point[2] );
                output->SetScalarComponentFromDouble(i, j, k, 0, dist);
            }
        }
    }

    return 1;
}

The custom image source is similar in concept to the code written above
(although not the same). But the above image source did not seem to work. I
connected vtkCustomImageSource to vtkDataSetMapper and expected to see a
colored box. But I saw absolotely no output.

Then I connected vtkCustomImageSource to a vtkOutlineFilter to see a outline
of the data set. The surprising thing is that I see cube ! As the width,
height and depth of the cube are equal.

I would be very thankful to anyone who can point out my mistake in the code.

Best Regards,
Prashanth