[vtkusers] How To Change A 24 Bits BMP Picture To A 8 Bits ?

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Thu Sep 13 22:11:22 EDT 2007

Hi Mark,

It sounds like you need to extract a single color channel from the
24-bit BMP image you are generating (and I presume reading into your
program to do volume rendering). If so, you should be able to use
vtkImageExtractComponents, as in:

vtkImageExtractComponents extract = vtkImageExtractComponents::New();
extract.SetComponents(0); // If you want the red channel, for instance
extract.SetInputConnection(bmp24.GetOutputPort());

Hope this helps,
Cory

On 9/13/07, JohnMark <zhaojunxp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi , vtkusers ,
>
>     with the help of classes vtkStructuredPoints and vtkBMPWriter , I change
> the DICOM pictures to BMP
> pictures successfully . however , I found the BMP pictures' format was wrong
> when I decided to use them
> to reconsturct ( i.e. , volume rendering ) . it asked for 8 bits' BMP
> pictures , not 24 bits . So , I
> want to know whether there is a class changing 24 bits BMP picture to 8 bits
> ?
>
>     and I find there is not a function to do so in vtkStructuredPoints .
>
>     thanks a lot !
>      Mark

Cory Quammen
Department of Computer Science