[vtkusers] AREA & VOLUME

Cory Quammen cquammen at cs.unc.edu
Mon Sep 3 22:51:58 EDT 2007

Mark,

Take a look at vtkMassProperties. It can estimate the surface area of
a triangle mesh and the volume of a closed mesh. If you need to
triangulate your mesh, take a look at vtkTriangleFilter.

As an aside, similar questions have been asked frequently on this
list. It is always a good idea to search the mailing list archives
before posting a question because you might find that it has already
been answered, and you won't have to wait around for an answer. The
search form is available at http://www.kitware.com/searchpublic.html.

Cheers,
Cory

On 9/3/07, JohnMark <zhaojunxp at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi , vtkusers ,
>
>      My friends ask me how to compute the area or volume of vtk rendering
> object . My thought is :
>
>      1 . we know , if the region , which would be computed ,  is regular ,
> the computation will be
>  easy . in fact , however , what we have to compute are always arbitrary
> polygons . there are several
>  methods : we can divide it into several triangles , computing each
> triangle's area and then sum
>  them up . but there is a precondition : the polygon have few points . the
> more points , the more
>  difficult it is .
>      Is there any filters that can compute the arbitrary polygon's area ? I
> test it in vtkMath , but
>  it just performs common math operations .
>      or , if there is not such a filter , I think it would be better to
> writer such a class , because
>  it will be used widely , like geology and so on .
>
>      2 . if we reconstruct a arbitrary 3D object , maybe we want to get its
> volume . I have been
>  thinking we can compute it by voxels ,because the voxel is regular , then
> we can compute it . but I
>  could not get the number of voxels in 3D object . I can only get the number
> of cells , but it would
>  not help me .
>
>      so , if we want to compute volume , what filters we can use ?
>
>      thank you with great regards !
>
>      Mark

Cory Quammen
Department of Computer Science