[vtkusers] Cocoa VTK on Mac OS X 10.5

Dan Wilson danjwilson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 19:20:52 EDT 2007

Thanks for the extremely prompt response!

> I've _just_ put a new version, 1.3, online.  You can be the 1st
> tester. :)
> <http://www.rogue-research.com/VTK/SimpleCocoaVTK.html>

 From the instructions here, I switched to using the system zlib,
which I wasn't doing before. That seemed to cut down the number of
linker errors from ~ 40 to 12.

> It looks like VTK and SimpleCocoaVTK are not being built with the same
> SDK and deployment target.  Since you have:
>
>> CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES:STRING=i386
>> CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT:STRING=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
>
> Make sure that SimpleCocoaVTK is also using the same SDK and that
> "deployment target" is set to 10.4.

I was building with the 10.4u SDK in both cases. :(

So what this leaves me with is the following linker errors, which all
look fairly similar:

   "_strerror$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtksys::SystemTools::GetLastSystemError()      in
libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
       vtkErrorCode::GetStringFromErrorCode(unsigned long)in
libvtkCommon.a(vtkErrorCode.o)
   "_close$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       __tiffCloseProc in libvtktiff.a(tif_unix.o)
   "_strtod$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       _vtk_png_handle_sCAL in libvtkpng.a(pngrutil.o)
       _vtk_png_handle_sCAL in libvtkpng.a(pngrutil.o)
   "_usleep$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtksys::SystemTools::Delay(unsigned int)in
libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
       vtksys::SystemTools::Delay(unsigned int)in
libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
   "_mktime$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtksys::SystemTools::ConvertDateMacroString(char const*,
long*)in libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
       vtksys::SystemTools::ConvertTimeStampMacroString(char const*,
long*)in libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
   "_open$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       _vtk_TIFFOpen in libvtktiff.a(tif_unix.o)
   "_write$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       __tiffWriteProc in libvtktiff.a(tif_unix.o)
   "_sleep$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtksys::SystemTools::Delay(unsigned int)in
libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
   "_read$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       __tiffReadProc in libvtktiff.a(tif_unix.o)
   "_realpath$DARWIN_EXTSN", referenced from:
       Realpath(char const*, std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&)in
libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
   "_clock$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtkTimerLog::GetCPUTime()       in libvtkCommon.a(vtkTimerLog.o)
   "_chmod$UNIX2003", referenced from:
       vtksys::SystemTools::SetPermissions(char const*, unsigned
short)in libvtksys.a(SystemTools.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas? The only other deviation from your instructions is that I'm
not building universal binaries, just i386.

Dan.