[vtkusers] Why data value range of volume affects its rendering --->I think it is a bug, please read my reply

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 30 12:21:09 EDT 2007

The intensity of volume is squeezed into 8-bit before being taken as 3D
texture in vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D::UpdateVolumes(...). This explains the
phenomenon in my earlier email.

By reducing data intensity into [0-255] range one may lose details
contained in original data. An extremely worse case is that a
low-intensity volume with just one "bad voxel" that has VERY large
intensity. In this case some useful structures will be washed off from
volume rendering.

My suggestion is to use the low and high in color/opacity transfer
functions as a window of data range of interest for viewing, which are
used in UpdateVolumes() and UpdateColorLookup(). Because users usually
specify transfer function over data range that they are interested.

Weiguang