[vtkusers] Why data value range of volume affects its rendering

Weiguang Guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 26 13:58:53 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I recently notice an issue (maybe a bug) with volume rendering algorithms
(vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D and vtkVolumeRayCastMapper), and cannot find a
posting reporting the issue in the mailing list.

I have a a scalar volume of vtkImagedata whose value ranges from 0 to
7035. By thresholding it at 255, I generate another volume with value
range [0-255]. Then, I do volume renderings (both vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D
and vtkVolumeRayCastMapper) of them seperately with the same opacity
transfer function:

vtkPiecewiseFunction opacityTransferFunction
     opacityTransferFunction AddPoint  50   0.0
     opacityTransferFunction AddPoint  255  0.2
     opacityTransferFunction ClampingOff

Should I expect to have exactly the same renderings? Rendering with
vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D produces a great difference while rendering with
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper produces a slightly difference but still
noticeable. Can anybody explain why?

I have a tcl script to reproduce the "bug", and can let you have it if
you're interested.

Weiguang