[vtkusers] Sphere with reticle

David.Pont at ensisjv.com David.Pont at ensisjv.com
Thu Oct 25 20:58:30 EDT 2007

James Kyle <krunk7 at gmail.com> wrote on 25/10/2007 11:25:57:

> Thank you for your reply,
>
> Here's the idea, I have a plain sphere being rendered. The sphere
> will move on 6 DoF (got some input for that). What I need is some
> sort of visual indicator that the sphere has moved. I was thinking a
> simple black cross hairs on the sphere surface would do the trick.
>
> I checked out the vtkBoxWidget, but it looks a bit overkill with
> emphasis on user manipulation and interaction.
>
> I've attached a file to show the simplicity of what I'm trying to
> describe...cept the attachment is 2d image rather then 3D sphere.

How about a sphere rendered with transparency (say opacity 0.2), then
polydata with 2 (or 3) lines inside crossing at the sphere midpoint? Could
increase line width or use tube filter to give the lines more weight. This
would also have the benefit of not obscuring your main dataset too much,
and avoids creating and mapping textures.

  Dave P