[vtkusers] are "Point Sampled Geometry" based models supported in VTK!

M.Salman at surrey.ac.uk M.Salman at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Oct 25 10:57:27 EDT 2007

Hi All,

I have been using VTK to work with 3D triangle based models.In literature, I have come across terms "point-based models" or "point-sampled geometry" where surface is described by a set of sample points without any further topological information.Is it the raw range data received from 3D scanners or something different.

my Questions:

1. Does VTK have support (reader,writer etc.) for this representation of 3D surfaces.
2. Which file formats are used normally for representing point-sampled geometry. Do we use same formats as .vtp,.ply etc.
3. Can somebody point out to some  models in point-sampled geomtry?

Best Regards,