[vtkusers] Sphere with cross hairs.

James Kyle krunk7 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 11:23:22 EDT 2007

I've just discovered VTKCocoa (via macresearch) and am plodding through it to
to provide a gui front end for a HeadTracker system I have.

The idea is that the HeadTracker provides me with 6 dof positional data for
a sensor (x,y,z,azimuth, roll,elevation). I use this data to plot the
position of a sphere rendered with VTK.

Simple enough. After walking through a tutorial or two, I have a basic view
done for the object:
http://airto.hosted.ats.ucla.edu/~kyle/images/interface.png

And the skeleton for updating the view on each frame render...basically
ready to go cept for actually resetting of positional given the new
coordinates. This is where my questions come up.

I'm completely new to 3D programming, but not new to coding. Simple function
references that I can look the API's up with will suffice. Really, I just
want to know if I'm on the right track.

First, it seems like Actors serve as accessors to rendered objects on the
screen. The vtkSphere object appears to only have x, y, and radius as
positionals.

-) Am I correct in thinking that the Camera view is what I'll need to set
the z, azimuth, and elevation or is there a better way?

-) How do I draw the cross hairs on the sphere?