[vtkusers] Distance between polydata and a point cloud

jtaclas at bidmc.harvard.edu jtaclas at bidmc.harvard.edu
Fri Oct 12 10:31:58 EDT 2007

I'm looking to do two things; first I'd like to measure the average distance between each point in a point cloud, and the polydata surface it is registered to.  I used the 	vtkIterativeClosestPointTransform if that helps at all.  The second thing I would like to do is measure the distance between each point in a polydata surface and the nearest point in the point cloud.  From reading the user's list archives, I imagine I might use vtkPointLocator or vtkCellLocator, with FindClosestPoint, but I am not sure.
I also wonder if it would be possible to use that information to color-code the polydata object's surface (like a 'hot' or 'cold' color scale) to better visualize a correlation between points and a surface.

Jason Taclas