[vtkusers] problems with CMAKE, trying to create VTK from source

Trevis Crane trevis.crane at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 21:17:55 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm running winXP and want to develop in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio
.NET 2003.  I downloaded the VTK source and CMake, installed CMake and am
trying to use it to create the .sln file for Visual Studio to compile the
library binaries.  So, I setup CMake by giving it the source code folder and
the bin folder and hit configure. I select the appropriate
compiler/toolchain and then It chugs along for a  little while but then
gives me this error:

CMake Error: Cannot find source file
"C:\VTK\Common\Testing\Cxx\CommonCxxTests.css" for target "CommonCxxTests"
Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp
.hxx .in .txx

(Press Cancel to suppress any further messages)

If I don't press Cancel I get a similar message for GraphicsCxxTests,
ImagingCxxTests, IOCxxTests,  and WidgetsCxxTests.  It seems
like some files are missing from the VTK source distribution I downloaded.
Could this be the case or is something else the matter, do you think?  FYI -
I downloaded the latest version of VTK -- vtk-5.0.3.zip.  Either there're
some files missing (which seems unlikely), or there's something weird about
the CMakeLists.txt file (also seems unlikely), but I can't think of any
other possible things wrong.  Any suggestions?

thanks in advance,
trevis