[vtkusers] Re: QVTK compile error with vtk 5

Ruben Schilling r.b.schilling at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 11 12:25:28 EDT 2007

Hi,

thanks for your info, you seemed to be right. Unfortunatly it ultimately
didn't lead to a succesful build. I have still trouble with QVTK on the same
machine. I ran into this error:

Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so
/usr/bin/ld:
/arch/x86_64/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.0/crtbeginT.o:
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `__deregister_frame_info' can not be used
when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/arch/x86_64/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.0/crtbeginT.o:
could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [bin/libQVTKWidgetPlugin.so] Error 1
make[2]: Target `GUISupport/Qt/CMakeFiles/QVTKWidgetPlugin.dir/build' not
remade because of errors.

I had the same error with building my Qt version (4.3.2) and I found it in a
list post, that it was known and related to the combination of gcc-4.2.x and
binutils. Since I don't have the permission to really reinstall the binutils
I got around it by building a static version of the Qt library, which is
installed now. A quick check of a small demo application (C++/Qt) seems to
work with it fine. Now I wonder, why I get the same error again (of course
-fPIC is standard on x86_64 systems and I did not check the "build shared"
option in ccmake, when configuring vtk, but indeed added a CXXFLAG '-static'
to force a static build (doens't work in either case by the way).

Any ideas? Since QVTK really enables me to write a full blown application
with VTK it is kind of essential.

Suggestions are most welcome.
Regards
Ruben