[vtkusers] logical operations between binary images

Mark E Roberts mroberts at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 2 13:06:30 EDT 2007

Anne-Laure,

I've found success using vtkImageMathematics for my own applications. I'm not completely sure what your final product should look like, but this might help.

full = vtkImageMathematics::New();
full->SetInput1(slice[i]->GetOutput());
full->SetInput2(final[i]->GetOutput());
full->SetOperationToMax();
full->Update();

Some tips on using it:
SetInput2 is the base image. So if you are adding one image to another, you are adding image 1 to image 2. Not adding image 1 and image 2 together. It's a slight difference, but when the operation compares two values, that's how the algorithm works.

For your application, you probably don't want to use SetOperationToMax, but something along the lines of subtraction. Check out the documentation at vtk.org for a list of all the operations.

Finally, after some image mathematics, the file is in the format of image mathematics, not the original file. So you are going to have to recast the image back into the file format that you want.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Mark Roberts

--
Mark Roberts
Masters of Science, Project Student