[vtkusers] visual studio 2008 and v6.0a sdk missing glaux.h

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Mon Oct 1 23:22:18 EDT 2007

Hi,

It sounds totally legacy code to me. There is definitively no code
depending on glaux in VTK. In addition, Rendering/vtkOpenGL.h itself
has a statement for windows. By the way, you did not tell which
version of VTK you are using.

On your local copy of the source tree, in
vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, remove all the following lines, just
keep # include "vtkOpenGL.h":

Before:

 #if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined (__BORLANDC__)
 # include "vtkWindows.h"
 # include <GL/glaux.h>
 #else
 # include "vtkOpenGL.h"
 #endif

After:

# include "vtkOpenGL.h"

Let me know if it works for you. I'll try tomorrow on some Windows
machine (XP SP2+VS7). If it works, I will commit the change and  check
for any other Windows version/compiler version combination on the
dashboard (notably VS6 and Borland). Once it is done, we will probably
patch VTK-5.0 branch too.

Regards.

On 10/2/07, Shekhar Chandra <Shekhar.Chandra at sci.monash.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> I believe the Vista SDK (v6.0) no longer supports the GLAUX library, the
> earlier Platform SDK do though. You can replicate the same error by
> using VC 2005 Express with Vista SDK. Vista SDK Update supports all
> Windows and is most likely whats installed with VS 2008?
>
> Which one do you have installed? Not sure what part of VTK uses GLAUX,
> apparently this is no longer supported by almost everyone and GLUT
> should be used instead. I'm not an expert in this. Is there a way of
> using GLUT instead in VTK or by using Defines? As this will cause issues
> with Vista and future Windows builds.
>
> Cheers
> Shakes
>
> Jon W wrote:
> > Microsoft compilers prior to Visual Studio 2008 Beta2 installed a
> > platform sdk with the files used by the vtk build:
> >   gl.h
> >   glaux.h
> >   glu.h
> >
> > With the Visual Studio 2008 Beta2 installation the glaux.h file is no
> > longer included which breaks the vtk build with the following error:
> >
> > \vtk\Rendering\vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx(34) : fatal error C1083:
> > Cannot open include file: 'GL/glaux.h': No such file or directory
> >
> > Here is the code in vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow.cxx:
> >   #if defined(_MSC_VER) || defined (__BORLANDC__)
> >   # include "vtkWindows.h"
> >   # include <GL/glaux.h>
> >   #else
> >   # include "vtkOpenGL.h"
> >   #endif
> >
> > Has anybody tried building with the Visual Studio 2008 Beta2 compiler?
> >  Are there any plans to work around the missing glaux.h?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Jon

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive