[vtkusers] OSX universal binaires for VTK, cmake , ITK

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Tue Jan 30 14:04:28 EST 2007

Hi Sean,

we just got a new macbookpro with the core duo2 64 bit chip.
we also haver access to a G5

so i wanted to ask you how you have been getting on with building
universal binaires -arch ppc;i386
and also very fat binaries  -arch ppc;ppc64;i386;x86_64
for VTK, CMake etc (we are also building ITK)

Previously i thought there was a problem in CMake that prevented the
proper generation of universal binaries ppc;i386
because it made the assumption that the build arch was the same as
the arch for execution of the binaries generated.
So a PPC could make i386 binaries, but they wouldn't run properly?

I might have misunderstood the situation...?
Is this, or was it ever an issue?

Can we just use
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES ppc;ppc64;i386;x86_64

or do we have to set the -arch ppc;ppc64;i386;x86_64
in the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS and linker flags?

any info on the current state of affairs and how to do this the right
way would be very welcome!

cheers

Dan and the BioImageXD team

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35