[vtkusers] a polyhedron is convex or non-convex

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 23:21:44 EST 2007

I don't think this will work, this is, in general, a difficult problem. Look
at http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~tflook/geo/ also hunt up the reference at the
end of the paper *Olivier Devillers, Giuseppe Liotta, Franco P. Preparata,
and Roberto Tamassia, *"*Checking the Convexity of Polytopes and the
Planarity of Subdivisions*".

On 1/22/07, PAUL <polinzhuo at 163.com> wrote:

>  I want to judge whether a polyhedron is convex or non-convex by an
> algorithm. The algorithm is : if every vertex of the polyhedron is convex
> then the polyhedron is convex.
>
> For each vertex, there is at least three vertexes is adjacent to it. These
> vertexes make up of a triangle which forms a plane. Because the direction of
> the plane can be gotten by the order of three vertexes according to
> right-hand-rule, the order of three vertexes must be counter-clockwise.  If
> the vertex is above the plane, the vertex is convex. If not, the vertex is
> non-convex.
>
> But I cannot assure the order of three vertexes is counter-clockwise.
>
> And have you a better way to the question?
>
> Look forward to your reply again.

Andrew J. P. Maclean
Centre for Autonomous Systems
The Rose Street Building J04