[vtkusers] LeaderGlyph bug in vtkCaptionActor2D?

Steven Koch SKoch at trinityconsultants.com
Wed Jan 17 18:58:39 EST 2007

I'm trying to use a cone-tipped leader with vtkCaptionActor2D.  The cone
appears but when zooming out the cone grows larger (to the limit set by
"SetMaximumLeaderGlyphSize"), and when zooming in the cone quickly shrinks
to nothing (long before zooming into the objects that are being pointed
to).

It makes sense that the cone must be scaled when zooming in/out, but only
to maintain the size of the cone.  I'd like the cone to stay the same size
(as does the length of the leader given by SetPosition(PixelsX, PixelsY)).
 It would make sense that SetLeaderGlyphSize(1.0) combined with
SetMaximumLeaderGlyphSize(10) should give a constant 10 pixel glyph size?

Here's my code...

'Create object label
vtkCone = New vtk.vtkConeSource
vtkCone.SetResolution(2)
Dim vtkLabel As New vtk.vtkCaptionActor2D
vtkLabel.SetCaption(.Item(i).ID)
vtkLabel.SetAttachmentPoint(sngAvgX, sngAvgY, GTz(.Item(i).Elevation) +
GTz(.Item(i).Height))
vtkLabel.SetThreeDimensionalLeader(1)
vtkLabel.SetPosition(30.0, 30.0)
vtkLabel.GetPosition2Coordinate.SetCoordinateSystemToDisplay()
vtkLabel.SetPosition2(10.0 + 10.0 * .Item(i).ID.Length, 20.0)
vtkLabel.SetLeaderGlyph(vtkCone.GetOutput)
vtkLabel.SetLeaderGlyphSize(1.0)
vtkLabel.SetMaximumLeaderGlyphSize(10)
m_vtkRen1.AddActor2D(vtkLabel)

I've never gotten a reply to my postings so I don't expect one this time.
After freaking on this for too long the extra wasted time composing my
thoughts just helps me accept the fact that I'll have to give up again.

Steve Koch
Applications Developer

Trinity Consultants, Inc.
skoch at trinityconsultants.com
phone: 972-661-8881 x1332
fax: +214-615-7425
breeze-software.com

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
Received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer.