[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 12:47:06 EST 2007

WARNING: this is long and (I hope) detailed enough for meaningful
debugging; it's probably not for the casual reader...

On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:10 AM, Sean McBride wrote:

> Basically, do the following: you have your ~/kitware/VTK and ~/
> kitware/
> VTK-bin.

Done.  ~/kitware/VTK downloaded yesterday.  Also ~/kitware/VTKData

> Delete the contents of VTK-bin to make sure you're starting
> fresh.

Done.  mkdir VTK-bin  -  brand new, virgin directory

> From there 'cd' into 'VTK-bin' and type 'ccmake ../VTK'.

cd VTK-bin
ccmake ../VTK

one option: CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY 2.4   ---- that's correct
cmake 2.4 installed 7 December

(cmake -version reports: 2.4-patch 5)

c     ---to configure

                                                      Page 1 of 1
BUILD_EXAMPLES                  *OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS               *OFF
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE                *
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX            */usr/local
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES         *i386
CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT               */Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
VTK_DATA_ROOT                   */Users/kennethsloan/kitware/VTK/../
VTKData
VTK_USE_CARBON                  *ON
VTK_USE_COCOA                   *OFF
VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER          *OFF
VTK_USE_INFOVIS                 *ON
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                *OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING               *ON
VTK_USE_X                       *OFF
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                   *OFF
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                 *OFF
VTK_WRAP_TCL                    *OFF
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.4

c     ---to configure further (accepting ALL of the above)

                                                      Page 1 of 1
BUILD_EXAMPLES                   OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                OFF
CMAKE_BACKWARDS_COMPATIBILITY    2.4
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES          i386
CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT                /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk
VTK_DATA_ROOT                    /Users/kennethsloan/kitware/VTK/../
VTKData
VTK_USE_CARBON                   ON
VTK_USE_COCOA                    OFF
VTK_USE_FFMPEG_ENCODER           OFF
VTK_USE_INFOVIS                  ON
VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
VTK_USE_X                        OFF
VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    OFF
VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  OFF
VTK_WRAP_TCL                     OFF

looks OK, and [g] is now an option!  Go for it...

g    ---to generate and exit

> Then
> follow the instructions- it basically involves pressing "c" and "g" in
> the right places.  Don't change any of the options.

Done (see above)

> Once the ccmake
> program exits, simply type 'make'.  It should build.  If it doesn't
> something quite odd is happening.  Doing this uses all the default
> build
> settings.

make

...   ---many lines of perfectly nice looking progress, and then

Linking CXX static library ../bin/libvtkGraphics.a
[ 39%] Built target vtkGraphics
Scanning dependencies of target vtkGenericFiltering
[ 39%] Building CXX object GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/
vtkGenericFiltering.dir/vtkGenericFilteringInstantiator.o
[ 39%] Building CXX object GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/
vtkGenericFiltering.dir/vtkGenericContourFilter.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/
vtkGenericFiltering.dir/vtkGenericGeometryFilter.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/
vtkGenericFiltering.dir/vtkGenericClip.o
[ 40%] Building CXX object GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/
vtkGenericFiltering.dir/vtkGenericProbeFilter.o
/Users/kennethsloan/kitware/VTK/GenericFiltering/
vtkGenericProbeFilter.cxx:33: error: 'vtkGenericProbeFilter' has not
been declared
... ---many cascading errors (available on request)
/Users/kennethsloan/kitware/VTK/GenericFiltering/
vtkGenericProbeFilter.cxx:243: error: 'Superclass' has not been declared
make[2]: *** [GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/vtkGenericFiltering.dir/
vtkGenericProbeFilter.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [GenericFiltering/CMakeFiles/vtkGenericFiltering.dir/
all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Here are the first 50 lines of vtkGenericProbeFilter.cxx:

/
*=======================================================================
==

   Program:   Visualization Toolkit
   Module:    $RCSfile: vtkGenericProbeFilter.cxx,v $

   Copyright (c) Ken Martin, Will Schroeder, Bill Lorensen
   All rights reserved.
   See Copyright.txt or http://www.kitware.com/Copyright.htm for
details.

      This software is distributed WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
      the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR
      PURPOSE.  See the above copyright notice for more information.

=*/
#include "vtkGenericProbeFilter.h"

#include "vtkCell.h"
#include "vtkIdTypeArray.h"
#include "vtkImageData.h"
#include "vtkInformation.h"
#include "vtkInformationVector.h"
#include "vtkObjectFactory.h"
#include "vtkPointData.h"
#include "vtkCellData.h"
#include "vtkGenericDataSet.h"
#include "vtkDoubleArray.h"
#include "vtkGenericCellIterator.h"
#include "vtkGenericAdaptorCell.h"
#include "vtkGenericAttribute.h"
#include "vtkGenericAttributeCollection.h"
#include "vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline.h"

vtkCxxRevisionMacro(vtkGenericProbeFilter, "$Revision: 1.6 $");
vtkStandardNewMacro(vtkGenericProbeFilter);

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
------
vtkGenericProbeFilter::vtkGenericProbeFilter()
{
   this->ValidPoints = vtkIdTypeArray::New();
   this->SetNumberOfInputPorts(2);
}

//----------------------------------------------------------------------
------
vtkGenericProbeFilter::~vtkGenericProbeFilter()
{
   this->ValidPoints->Delete();
   this->ValidPoints = NULL;
}

And...we're dead in the water.

Suggestions?

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/