[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Jan 17 10:10:25 EST 2007

On 2007-01-16 23:12, Kenneth Sloan said:

>Thanks for your help.  Please excuse the elementary questions.  My
>knowledge of cmake, cvs, and "dashboards" is minimal, at best.

Well, a "dashboard" is just a fancy name for a nightly build that runs
some tests, to make sure vtk does not break.  See: <http://www.vtk.org/
Testing/Dashboard/MostRecentResults-Nightly/Dashboard.html>

>Alas, I can't find the jre's awt lib.  Java is installed, and I have
>many working Java programs that have been built on this machine.

Did you install java from somewhere or are you using that java that
comes with the OS?  I don't know what JRE and AWT mean... :(

>But...some of the files are hidden away in strange places (usually
>involving "Framework"...).  I'm afraid normal *nix experience doesn't
>help here - we need a Mac OS X wizard.

A framework is nothing more than a special folder organised to contain
both dynamic libraries and associated headers and resources all in one place.

>> checkout vtk into /home/demarle/Kitware/VTK/devel/VTK
>
>Done - ~/kitware/VTK
>

>> mkdir buildJava
>> cd buildJava
>
>Done - ~/kitware/vtk-basic
>

>> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>> ${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:/home/demarle/Kitware/VTK/devel/buildJava/bin/:/
>> usr/local/java/jdk1.5.0_08/jre/lib/i386/xawt/
>> setenv CLASSPATH
>> /home/demarle/Kitware/VTK/devel/buildJava/bin/:/home/demarle/
>> Kitware/VTK/devel/buildJava/java/:.
>>

>The above NOT DONE (because I'm not yet attempting to build with Java)
>
>> ccmake ../VTK
>
>Done - I accepted all default settings and changed NOTHING.  I hit
>'c' (configure) a few times, and then 'g' (generate).

So far so good.

>> set VTK_WRAP_JAVA
>> I also set these two because it makes successive builds faster (not
>> sure if you need them or not)
>> set BUILD_SHARED_LIBS ON
>> set VTK_USE_RPATH ON
>> generate
>> make
>
>and here is where the build failed, with the error above

Did you do this last bit too?  I would not, at least not now.

Basically, do the following: you have your ~/kitware/VTK and ~/kitware/
VTK-bin.  Delete the contents of VTK-bin to make sure you're starting
fresh.  From there 'cd' into 'VTK-bin' and type 'ccmake ../VTK'.  Then
follow the instructions- it basically involves pressing "c" and "g" in
the right places.  Don't change any of the options.  Once the ccmake
program exits, simply type 'make'.  It should build.  If it doesn't
something quite odd is happening.  Doing this uses all the default build
settings.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com