[vtkusers] Mac OS X, Java guru needed, please.

Kenneth Sloan kennethrsloan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:17:42 EST 2007

I'm trying to get vtk installed under Mac OS X, with Java.  What I
need most is
someone who has done this before who can guide me over the speedbumps.

On my last attempt, the make got this far:

[ 63%] Built target vtkRendering
Linking CXX shared library ../bin/libvtkRenderingJava.dylib
ld: Undefined symbols:
_JAWT_GetAWT
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkRenderingJava.5.0.2.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Rendering/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingJava.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

This looks like a symbol from the Java libraries (or am I wrong about
that?), and I have no clue how to point libtool at the correct
directory.  My sysadmin skills are seriously atrophied.  Clearly,
I'll need a lot of hand-holding.

I'm going to make another attempt, starting from scratch, on
Wednesday a.m.  This time, I'll be less ambitious and try to get the
most basic VTK package up and running (C++ only, NO java, NO tcl, NO
python).

And then....I'll try to add in Java.

[Java is installed and working just fine - all of my current
development work is with Java]

So...if there is anyone who has been down this path and is willing to
guide me, please raise your hand!

I would *prefer* to use the current "vanilla" version, unless there
is a specific, known reason to use the very latest.

I have X11 available, so I suppose my first specific question is:
X11, Carbon, or Cocoa? (and the meta-question is: is that even a
meaningful question?)

--
Kenneth Sloan
KennethRSloan at gmail.com
Computer and Information Sciences                        +1-205-934-2213
University of Alabama at Birmingham              FAX +1-205-934-5473
Birmingham, AL 35294-1170                http://www.cis.uab.edu/sloan/