[vtkusers] Freetype problem when compiling vtk nightly on Mac OS X 10.4.8

Alexander Antonov ava04 at doc.ic.ac.uk
Wed Jan 3 17:03:05 EST 2007

> I think we need to know more.  Are you using your own freetype
> library,
> or the freetype code that comes with vtk?  What kind of vtk build are
> you doing?  Carbon? Cocoa? PPC? Intel? gcc? icc?

I'm using vtk's freetype library and doing a ppc build with gcc. I
tried both an X and a Cocoa build, with the same error.
It seems the culprit might be a header in the vtk freetype directory
"vtk_freetype_mangle.h" which renames many FT symbols to start with
"_vtk_freetype_", but I'm not sure what I could do about this.

I forgot to mention that I've built the current vtk release version
(5.0.2) for X without getting this error.
However, my Java bindings don't work there, i.e., whenever the
vtkPanel window tries to render I get a JVM crash, which is why I'm
trying the CVS version.

> Maybe you can add "-Y 1455" to the linker flags, to get a more
> detailed
> error message from the compiler/linker

Here it is – Let me know if any other info would be helpful

Alex

-------------
Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/libvtkftgl.dylib
ld: Undefined symbols:
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_Get_CBox
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Char_Index
_vtk_freetype_FT_Select_Charmap
_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Charmap
_vtk_freetype_FT_Attach_File
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Face
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Glyph
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Kerning
_vtk_freetype_FT_Load_Glyph
_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Face
_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Memory_Face
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Glyph
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_FreeType
_vtk_freetype_FT_Init_FreeType
_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Char_Size
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyph.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_Get_CBox
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTBitmapGlyph.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTCharmap.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Char_Index
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTCharmap.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Select_Charmap
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTCharmap.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Charmap
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Attach_File
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Face
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Glyph
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Get_Kerning
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Load_Glyph
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Face
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTFace.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_New_Memory_Face
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTGlyph.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_Glyph
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTLibrary.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Done_FreeType
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTLibrary.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Init_FreeType
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTPixmapGlyph.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_Get_CBox
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTPixmapGlyph.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Glyph_To_Bitmap
CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/src/FTSize.o reference to undefined
_vtk_freetype_FT_Set_Char_Size
/usr/bin/libtool: internal link edit command failed
make[2]: *** [bin/libvtkftgl.5.1.0.dylib] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Utilities/ftgl/CMakeFiles/vtkftgl.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2