[vtkusers] vtkEnSightWriter & Structured Data

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 12:41:21 EDT 2007

I'm writing some data with the vtkEnSightWriter and things are working
great, so long as I take my structured data and pass it through a
vtkDataSetTriangleFilter first to convert it to an unstructured grid.  It
seems the vtkEnSightWriter only accepts Unstructured Grids as input.

Is there a filter other than the DataSetTriangleFilter that will convert a
dataset into an Unstructured Grid?  The TriangleFilter works, but
unnecessarily adds alot of bloat by converting my square-ish cells into
multiple Tetrahedra, while a simple 6-sided cell would be much more
efficient.  I tried using the vtkAppendFilter with only 1 input, but it
kinda went the opposite direction and instead created a dataset composed
entirely of 1-point cells.

Randall Hand
Visualization Scientist
ERDC MSRC-ITL