[vtkusers] Using 3D textures on the Mac

Michael Scarpa m.scarpa at uva.nl
Tue Sep 26 03:08:13 EDT 2006

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 04:31:31PM -0400, David Gobbi wrote:
> I'm having some trouble with vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D on
> the Mac.  When I try to use it, it gives the following error:
>
> vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper3D (0x177e6000): required extensions not
> supported
>
> I checked to see which extension it couldn't find, and it was
> glTexImage3DEXT.  The silly thing is that Mac OS X 10.4
> supports glTexImage3D directly (i.e. not as an extension).
> When I changed the code to use glTexImage3D, it worked
> fine.
>
> I have two questions:
>
> 1) has any other Mac user seen the same issue with
>    vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D?
>
> 2) how would people feel if I added a couple macros to the
>    code so that, on OS X, it uses vtkgl::TexImage3D instead of
>    vtkgl::TexImage3DEXT?

Wonderful find!  I have experienced the same error, but I had no time to
look into the origins of it.  I know for sure that I got 3D textures
working on my Mac with a self-baked VTK class over a year ago, so it
would be great if it would work also with the standard VTK class.  I am
in favor of the macros you propose.

With kind regards,

Michael