[vtkusers] Tutorial for newbies for installing VTK on Intel Mac

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 24 17:01:14 EDT 2006

Matthieu Masquelet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am now the proud owner of an Intel iMac and it looks like it is not
> going to be easy to build VTK (my ultimate goal being on using MayaVi).
> I'm willing to spend some time on this to understand how it works and
> why not write a little tutorial on it to guide newbies like me through
> the installation of CMake, Tcl/Tk and VTK. Please assume that I don't
> know much when trying to explain me what I should do.

If you are happy with X11 graphics, you can use Fink
<http://fink.sourceforge.net>. The instructions are very simple:

1. Install Fink (standard Apple installer)
2. Run "fink install mayavi"

You can do some configuration of Fink, concerning the version you want
to have (by default you get mayavi-1.4 running with vtk-5.0.0 and
python-2.3; you can have mayavi-1.5 with vtk-5.0.2 and python-2.4 by
enabling Fink's unstable tree), and whether you want to install
precompiled binaries (now the default) or let fink compile everything
from the sources.

--
Martin