[vtkusers] vtkVRMLImporter Ignores rotation ?

Kenneth Evans, Jr. evans at aps.anl.gov
Wed Sep 20 23:10:32 EDT 2006

Hi,

     I am relatively new to VTK.  I tried vtkVRMLImporter.  It doesn't do a
very good job with most of my VRML files.  The primary problem is that it
apparently ignores all rotation's in Transform.

     I have one .wrl file, for example, with axes composed of cylinders with
cones at the end to make arrows.  When imported, the cylinders point in the
y direction, and the cones at the end point in the x direction.  All three
axes are on top of each other.  The color is the last one read.  It doesn't
resemble axes at all.

     Experimentation with simple objects like a cube, indicate it ignores
rotation all the time, at least for everything I have tired.

     It doesn't even correctly read the files it exports.  I made a scene
with two cubes, one offset with SetPosition(3, 0, 0) and rotated with
SetOrientation(0., .7854, 0.), and exported it.  When imported they were in
the right place (translation appears to work), but no longer rotated.  This
could be repeated more simply with one cube.  Having two makes it
unequivocal where the x axis is and whether there is rotation or not.

     It also apparently doesn't handle Extrusion even though VTK does, but
that might be considered a lack of a feature.  Rotation is pretty basic.

     Is this a known problem?  I am using VTK 5.0 and Java on Windows, but I
doubt that the Java or Windows matters.  It could be what I am doing, but it
is pretty simple, just reading and then rendering.

     Thanks,

	-Ken