[vtkusers] vtkOutputWindow with Java on Windows

Kenneth Evans, Jr. evans at aps.anl.gov
Sun Sep 17 12:01:05 EDT 2006

Hi,

     I am relatively new to VTK, and I am working my way up the learning
curve, mostly by trial and error.  I am using it with Java on both Windows
XP and W2000.  What is causing me the greatest problem is the
vtkOutputWindow.

1. It is unresponsive.  It cannot be dismissed or resized, and the scroll
bar does not work.  It does not repaint.  It can be minimized, but that is
about all.

2. It is too small to hold the message, so the messages cannot usually be
read enough to get any useful information.  As I said, the scrollbar does
not work.

3.  The messages originally appear as black text with the usual windows
background color.  After a while the background color turns white, the text
is not visible, and nothing shows after that.

4.  I tried:

    // Redirect vtkOutput to a file
    if(true) {
      vtkFileOutputWindow outWin = new vtkFileOutputWindow();
      outWin.SetInstance(outWin);
      outWin.SetFileName("output.txt");
    }

     This seems to work to get the entire messages, but isn't very
satisfactory.  For example, after you have done this, you don't get any
indication there was an error and you have to know to look at the log.

     Is there a way to get the output in my own error handler?

     I assume I am not the only one with this problem, however, I have not
found any help.  I do see that others report the frozen window, but the
solution seem to be to eliminate the error that caused it to pop up, rather
than to fix the freezing.

     Thanks for any information,

	-Ken