[vtkusers] creating a solid object from 3D points

Tim Hutton tim.hutton at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 12:20:48 EDT 2006

So there was a 3D image (CT I'm guessing) that has been contoured by
some program (probably at some iso-intensity), and you have the
vertices from that and you want to make a surface. If that is the
case, you *had* a surface and then threw it away, and now you want it
back. :)

The correct answer is: use the original 3D image to generate a
polygonal surface using a decent contouring algorithm.

The practical answer is: (since you probably no longer have the 3D
image) try powercrust. If it doesn't work then pester the people who
generated this data to give you the original 3D image.

(I'm amazed how often this comes up, there must be some badly
documented software out there.)

Hope this helps,

Tim