[vtkusers] Ordering of Points !

M.Salman at surrey.ac.uk M.Salman at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 11:45:27 EST 2006

Hello All,

When vtk loads a  model in vtkPolyData format, it populates its POINTS list  and the index to that point list is used further  to populate  POLYGONS list and so on .

Could you please tell me from which point of a given model, vtk starts populating its point list.To put it other way, which point of the whole data set becomes the first to appear in the Point list of vtkPolyData. For example,why did vtk started to populate the POINTS list from 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 in the following listing; why not some other point.

# vtk DataFile Version 2.0
Cube example
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 8 float

0.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 0.0 0.0
1.0 1.0 0.0
0.0 1.0 0.0
0.0 0.0 1.0
1.0 0.0 1.0
1.0 1.0 1.0
0.0 1.0 1.0
POLYGONS 6 30
4 0 1 2 3
4 4 5 6 7
4 0 1 5 4
4 2 3 7 6
4 0 4 7 3
4 1 2 6 5

This is very important for me though it seems trivial.I would highly appreciate your help.

Regards,
M.Salman
University of Surrey
U.K.