[vtkusers] VTK Java dreaded java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: RenderCreate

Tue Nov 28 00:32:53 EST 2006

dear all,

I am observing errors suggesting missing libraries when running VTK
examples that use objects such as vtkPanel and vtkCanvas (see below). In
previous JNI codes I have seen these types of messages when dlls aren't
on the path. I also note that the very simple Cone demo works, but
examples from

http://ij-plugins.sourceforge.net/vtk-examples/index.html

which use the vtkPanel etc, just crash at runtime with unsatisified link
errors.

Having tinkered with path settings and various rebuilds I am now at a
loss as to how to approach this, any suggestions? Is there a definitive
guide to using VTK and Java somewhere on the web?

System config

OS Windows XP SP2
Java 1.4.2
VTK 5.1 built using CMake, VS 2003 .NET

I built VTK from the current source using Cmake + VS 2003 .NET  and Java
1.4.2. I added the directory with the generated dlls to my path, and
also tried adding the awt.dll to the same directory as suggested in the
FAQ, to no avail. Does the directory I compile in get hard coded into
the resulting code?

VTK dll dir = C:\Program Files\VTK\bin

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: RenderCreate
        at vtk.vtkPanel.Render(vtkPanel.java:137)
        at vtk.vtkPanel.paint(vtkPanel.java:160)
        at
java.awt.GraphicsCallback$PaintCallback.run(GraphicsCallback.java:63)

        at sun.awt.RepaintArea.paint(RepaintArea.java:216)
        at
sun.awt.windows.WComponentPeer.handleEvent(WComponentPeer.java:293)
        at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3774)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchTh
read.java:237)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThre
ad.java:187)
        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:181)

        at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:173)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:136)

cheers

Steve