[vtkusers] ways to improve performance

Mark Gooding mark.gooding at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 08:26:15 EST 2006

On 11/24/06, Hendrik Belitz <hbelitz at darkon.info> wrote:

> We're talking about data of which size and data type?

I'm working in C++. The data is from a unsigned char array - which
acts as a segmentation label map. The data sets vary, but with a
typical size is about 500x200x200 voxels. The data stored as a linear
array.

> What time takes your current application to update the actors, and on what machine?

for 8 actors is takes about 150secs

I've separated the pipelines for each actor completely (even though
they are just different segmentation labels within the same array) to
so that if I know that only one object needs updating (i.e. I've only
changed on label in the array) I only run the pipeline for that
object. The time above was to run through all 8.

Machine is Dual-core Pentium D 3.4Ghz Dell precision.

> How did you parametrized the Decimate and Smoothing filters?

That's pretty arbitrary, the code was initially borrowed from a
colleague who has since left. The parameters resulted in a visually
nice output so I haven't played with them.

Cheers,

Mark