[vtkusers] VTK Ruby wrappers for MS VC 2003 - how?

Vladimir Lazunin lazunin.v.aa at m.titech.ac.jp
Thu Nov 23 04:12:04 EST 2006

How to install Ruby bindings for VTK on Windows XP, for Visual Studio 2003?

I got VTK sources from http://www.vtk.org/files/release/5.0/vtk-5.0.2.zip
With no sign of Ruby inside it.

Then I took a ruby patch: http://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/ruby/products/ruby-vtk/vtk-ruby-061109.patch

Then, following these instructions:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2006-March/004064.html
(which are kind of confusing for a Windows user) as good as I can, I did:

patch -p1 < vtk-ruby-061109.patch

in MinGW inside of VTK folder. It generated some Ruby stuff inside VTK folders (Ruby directory appeared in Wrappings).

My Ruby installer was taken from http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/12751/ruby185-21.exe

Then in CMake I set the path to Ruby executable. But what is RUBY_INCLUDE_PATH? It seems to be for ruby.h file, but there are two ruby.h's in my Ruby directory, and the compiling procedure worked with neither. And also what is RUBY_LIBRARY - is it *.lib library, *.dll library or something else?

Now I am in a process of trying MinGW for a procedure described in Ruby's readme, which is
./configure
make
make test
make install

but it can take some time, because I'm sort of lacking in knowledge of how things get installed on Linux. But is it, at least, the right way? Shall it work for VC 2003? I don't mean to cwitch to MinGW compiler.