[vtkusers] newbie question

massimodisasha massimodisasha at yahoo.it
Wed Nov 22 19:16:14 EST 2006

Hi Obada

thanks for your suggestions :-)

$ mkdir -p Cone.app/Contents/MacOS
$ cp Cone Cone.app/Contents/MacOS

works very fine!

i've not problem to visualize the output file generared by grass with
paraview.
i can visualize it siply typing :
paraview --data=file.vtk

my target is build an executable file (just like the cone.app)
using the output data generated from grass.
how can i perform this ?
thanks for your usefool help!

Il giorno 22/nov/06, alle ore 21:36, Obada Mahdi ha scritto:

> [...]
>> and after a little problem....
>>  i've succesfool build the
>> SimpleCocoaVTK project in Xcode.
>>

> This sounds fine.  You do not actually have to build SimpleCocoaVTK in
> order to use VTK.  Still, I guess that it is a good starting point for
> creating Cocoa+VTK applications in Xcode.  I do not know what it is
> supposed to do, but building it should produce an application
> "SimpleCocoaVTK.app"--run it, and you will find out!
>
> The "Cone*" examples from the tutorial mentioned below are built in a
> slightly different way, using CMake-generated Makefiles rather than
> Xcode projects.
>

>> i've tryed to run :
>> ccmake
>> make
>>
>> in all this folder :
>> /VTK/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Cxx
>>
> [...]
>

>> i've compiled this example files, now i've :
>> in step1/cxx:
>>  Makefile   cmake.depends  cmake.check_depends   Cone.o   Cone
>>
> [...]
>
>> my question is :
>>
>> how can i visualize the output file???
>> i've tryed using paraview, but without succes :-( , i do not know!
>>

> Please excuse my ignorance--what exactly do you mean by "output file"?
> If you are referring to the output of the build process: the result
> is an executable file, like "Cone" above.  Visualization should work
> by just running it :-)
>
> Note, however, that you might experience problems trying to interact
> with the render window--this is a known problem, a workaround is wrap
> it in a directory structure MacOS X application bundle, like
>
> $ mkdir -p Cone.app/Contents/MacOS
> $ cp Cone Cone.app/Contents/MacOS
> (I am a bit out of the loop regarding MacOS, hope it is correct)
>
> and then opening "Cone.app" just like any other application.  Another
> way is to fix the CMakeLists.txt file by replacing the line
> | ADD_EXECUTABLE(Cone Cone.cxx)
> with
> | ADD_EXECUTABLE(Cone MACOSX_BUNDLE Cone.cxx)
>
> However, you do not need to worry about this if you are basing your
> project off "SimpleCocoaVTK", it is only relevant for the use of CMake
> with the Makefile generator.
>

>> My targhet is to create a simple visualization
>>  software to use it with a "DEM" (digital terrain model)
>> beacouse i'm a grass's users (
>> http://www.geo.unipr.it/~grassmirror/index.php )
>> this software can export the "DEM" data in VTK file format see :
>> http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/r.out.vtk.html
>>

> If by "output file" above you were actually referring to the output of
> the "r.out.vtk" converter: what seems to be the problem when you are
> trying to visualize the data set using ParaView (unrecognized file
> format, empty data set, ...)?  Do you have a small example output file
> that shows the problem?
>
> Or did I misunderstand you completely, and you only want to know how
> to build a VTK pipeline in order to visualize polygonal data? :-)

Hi Sean :-)

Il giorno 22/nov/06, alle ore 22:17, Sean McBride ha scritto:

> What problem did you have building SimpleCocoaVTK?

i do not know how Xcode works, i'm new to mac.
but thanks to the really simple instruction i've done it.

> Still, it is convenient for experimenting with VTK.  If you look at
> the
> method -setupLeftVTKView you will see code to display a cone.  You can
> change that code to create whatever kind of scene you want.
>
> --

where can i look for : method -setupLeftVTKView

thanks again!!!

Massimo.