[vtkusers] newbie question

Obada Mahdi omahdi at gmx.de
Wed Nov 22 15:36:45 EST 2006

Hi Massimo!

On 11/22/06, massimodisasha <massimodisasha at yahoo.it> wrote:
> i'm on mac osx,
>  i've succesfool installed VTK-5.0.2
> with the cocoa setting
> instruction found at :
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Cocoa_VTK
>
> i've succesfool build the VTK software.
> and after a little problem....
>  i've succesfool build the
> SimpleCocoaVTK project in Xcode.

This sounds fine.  You do not actually have to build SimpleCocoaVTK in
order to use VTK.  Still, I guess that it is a good starting point for
creating Cocoa+VTK applications in Xcode.  I do not know what it is
supposed to do, but building it should produce an application
"SimpleCocoaVTK.app"--run it, and you will find out!

The "Cone*" examples from the tutorial mentioned below are built in a
slightly different way, using CMake-generated Makefiles rather than
Xcode projects.

> i've tryed to run :
> ccmake
> make
>
> in all this folder :
> /VTK/Examples/Tutorial/Step1/Cxx
[...]

> i've compiled this example files, now i've :
> in step1/cxx:
>  Makefile   cmake.depends  cmake.check_depends   Cone.o   Cone
[...]
> my question is :
>
> how can i visualize the output file???
> i've tryed using paraview, but without succes :-( , i do not know!

Please excuse my ignorance--what exactly do you mean by "output file"?
 If you are referring to the output of the build process: the result
is an executable file, like "Cone" above.  Visualization should work
by just running it :-)

Note, however, that you might experience problems trying to interact
with the render window--this is a known problem, a workaround is wrap
it in a directory structure MacOS X application bundle, like

$ mkdir -p Cone.app/Contents/MacOS
$ cp Cone Cone.app/Contents/MacOS
(I am a bit out of the loop regarding MacOS, hope it is correct)

and then opening "Cone.app" just like any other application.  Another
way is to fix the CMakeLists.txt file by replacing the line
| ADD_EXECUTABLE(Cone Cone.cxx)
with
| ADD_EXECUTABLE(Cone MACOSX_BUNDLE Cone.cxx)

However, you do not need to worry about this if you are basing your
project off "SimpleCocoaVTK", it is only relevant for the use of CMake
with the Makefile generator.

> My targhet is to create a simple visualization
>  software to use it with a "DEM" (digital terrain model)
> beacouse i'm a grass's users (
> http://www.geo.unipr.it/~grassmirror/index.php )
> this software can export the "DEM" data in VTK file format see :
> http://grass.itc.it/grass62/manuals/html62_user/r.out.vtk.html

If by "output file" above you were actually referring to the output of
the "r.out.vtk" converter: what seems to be the problem when you are
trying to visualize the data set using ParaView (unrecognized file
format, empty data set, ...)?  Do you have a small example output file
that shows the problem?

Or did I misunderstand you completely, and you only want to know how
to build a VTK pipeline in order to visualize polygonal data? :-)

Regards

Obada