[vtkusers] Re: Pls Help!!!

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Tue Nov 21 11:18:12 EST 2006

Kaartika Pothuraju wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a project where i am using 3Dslicer to segment the CT scans and generate a model. I have saved the file in .vtk format. Can anyone suggest a software that can read .vtk format and convert it to iges format. I realize there is no software that can do this directly, but is there a software can convert .vtk to an intermediate format and from there to an iges format?
>
> I would very much appreciate any feedback,comments and assistance.Thanking you.
>
> Regards,
> Kaartika Pothuraju
> Graduate student
> Wayne State University
> Detroit,MI

Hi Kaartika,

There no real progress from what I posted here:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2004-September/076474.html

There's 3 options:

1. VTK -> STL -> "AutoDesk's Mechanical Desktop" -> IGES

2. Reverse engineer your model with software from www.geomagic.com,
www.copycad.com et al.

3. Check if the STL or OBJ file format will work instead of IGES for
you... I'm guessing your want to mesh your STL models for FEA- what
preprocessor are you using? Will it import polygonal surfaces meshes?

hth

Goodwin