[vtkusers] color volume rendering

keesh keesh at ieee.org
Sun Nov 12 20:42:36 EST 2006

Dear VTK Lurkers,

I'm one of the developers on the following open source project,
http://ij-plugins.sourceforge.net/ij-vtk/  .

I wish to perform full-color volume rendering on a RGB image dataset.
After reading both the VTK Textbook and VTK User's Guide for v. 4.2,
I'm still unclear on how to perform this task.

The closest reference that I discovered was the following...
http://matuszek.net/development/graphics/visible/
Steven Matuszek, matuszek at umbc.edu
"At this point I set out to extend the functionality of vtk's VolumeMapper
to be able to display color information on a voxel-by-voxel basis,
rather than with a density to color function such as is usually used in
volume rendering applications.
I asked a question about this on the vtk mailing list, and was contacted by
one Dr. Lisa Sobierajski Avila,
one of the vtk developers.  She informed me that she was in fact in the
process of adding just such a capability
to the vtk class, and that the code would be available soon."

Does anybody know of a VTK code snippet which would help illustrate
how I can preserve my RGB colors and perform a volume rendering?
Note, I'm using a LOD-based approach via vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D,
and vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.

Regards,

keesh
Software Development Engineer
(Alchemist of the Millennium)

Contact:
keesh at ieee.org

Work Life Plan:
To improve the quality of life for all mankind through better pattern
recognition techniques.

Home Life Plan:
Married, but happy. Three bright beacons light my way.