[vtkusers] Re: Question regarding vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader and also VTKit

Goodwin Lawlor goodwin.lawlor at ucd.ie
Fri Nov 3 10:12:40 EST 2006

mstucky5 at cox.net wrote:
> Question 1 : Does anyone have any sample Tcl code for displaying
>              multi-block plot3d files?

Here's a full translation of Graphics/Testing/Cxx/TestMultiBlock.cxx to
tcl for VTK5.0:

http://www.bioengineering-research.com/vtk/TestMultiBlock.tcl

(It wont run as-is with VTK5.1 CVS - a few small changes are needed)

> I tried to put together a simple example that is modeled after the
> example:
>
>      Graphics/Testing/Cxx/TestMultiBlock.cxx
>
> When I run the code using VTKit-4.5.7, the following error dialog
> box pops up a couple times :
>
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> |  vtkOutputWindow: VTKit-4.5.7.exe - Application Error                   |
> |-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
> |                                                                         |
> |  The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the  |
> |  application at location 0x009232e1.                                    |
> |                                                                         |
> |  Click on OK to terminate the program                                   |
> |  Click on CANCEL to debug the program                                   |
> |                                                                         |
> |                      OK               Cancel                            |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
> Question 2 : Does anyone else get the above error?
> Question 3 : Do you know what might be causing the above error?

I get the same error... dont know what's causing it. Its strange... it
crashes but still runs the vtk window. It seems to be fine with VTK5.0.1
though...

> After hitting OK I get the following error in the "debug" window
>
>   ERROR: In ..\..\VTK\Filtering\vtkCompositeDataPipeline.cxx, line 279
>   vtkCompositeDataPipeline (0AD95BC0): No update piece number has been set in the
>   information for output port 0 on algorithm vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader(0AD635B8).
>
> FYI, I have also run the example using VTK version 5.0.2, the error
> dialog box does not appear, but the above "debug" error does.  I'm
> assuming that I've forgotten some setting but...
>
> Question 4 : How do I "set the update piece number" and get rid of
>              this error?

This is because you've manually called "Update" on the reader in your
code. If you delete out Update and let the pipeline set the correct
information this error message goes away.

hth

Goodwin