[vtkusers] Trouble using vtkVolume in same renderer as vtkSphereSource

Rhys Thomas rgt at informatics.bangor.ac.uk
Fri Nov 3 06:04:23 EST 2006

Hello vtkusers

I was wondering if anyone could help me resolve the following problem; I
am attempting to display a sphere and a volume inside the same renderer,
however when I do this the volume appears to pulsate slightly and the
image of the sphere looks complete, then incomplete (almost like a
hemisphere viewed looking at the flat surface) in alternate frames. The
complete sphere is displayed in front of or co-incident with the volume
when I intend it to when the full sphere is being rendered only. In the
case where a hemisphere is being rendered, it always appears behind the
volume. The problem with the volume is not of major concern, however I
felt that I should mention it as it may be a symptom of the problem that
is afflicting the sphere.
    The volume was created from structured points, added to a
vtkVolumeTextureMapper2D (although I have also used
vtkVolumeRayCastMapper with similar results), then to a vtkVolume. I
created the sphere using vtkSphereSource, added it to a
vtkPolyDataMapper, which was subsequently added to a vtkActor. The
vtkVolume and vtkActor were then added to a vtkRenderer, which was then
added to a vtkRenderWindow.
    I am using vtk version 5.0, Visual Studio 6, and Windows XP. I
should perhaps also mention that the I am also using the ARToolkit in my
program.

Thanks

Rhys Thomas