[vtkusers] Re: Packaging vtk: patents

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Dec 28 08:54:41 EST 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:08:30PM -0400, Ken Martin wrote:
> > > an important issue with packaging and offering vtk packages in some
> > > countries is whether it contains any patented code. I've read about
> > > expired patents and algorithms removed due to not yet expired
> > > patents, but what about the mpeg2 encoding support?
> > >
> > > Doesn't this include patented software/algrothms that the MPEGLA
> > > requires loyalities for?
> > >
> > > If yes, could it perhaps be shipped seperately, so source and binary
> > > packages can be completely patent-free?
> >
> > could someone please comment on the patent issues? mpeg and otherwise?
>
> I don't believe mpeg code should ever have been moved into VTK. Our policy
> as of a couple years ago has been to not put patented code into VTK but have
> them be optional third party libraries that you must download separately.
> Clearly that is not the case any more :(

you are referring to the mpeg part, which can still be removed for
packaging purposes (and indeed in upcoming vtk releases it would be
nice to keep it as a separate tarball).

But what about the other patents regarding some algorithms like
Marching Cubes and friends? There is a FAQ entry on this:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_is_the_deal_with_the_patents

But it refers to vtk4 and mentions the Patented subfolder which does
not exist anymore. Have all these patented algorithms either

o expired
o been replaced by non-patented equivalents
o are waived for vtk use?

IANAL, but probably the patents held by Kitware are not a problem as
they are releasing the software under an open source license
themselves. But what about patents by the General Electric Company?

Please help me get the patent issue resolved so vtk can become part of
Fedora. Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net