[vtkusers] Example for SimpleCone

Todd Simons todd.a.simons at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 10:29:18 EST 2006

 Hello all,

I'm a relatively new VTK developer.  I am using Java as the gui for my VTK
applications.  I had a hard time getting started and finding examples
written in Java.  I have ported a dozen examples to Java to get familiar
with it.  I wanted to post my examples so other Java enthusiasts could get
up to speed on VTK a bit more easily.  I hope this helps.

I think this example is already out there on the internet somewhere.  Sorry
if this is a duplication.

Best Regards,
Todd

package examples;
import vtk.vtkActor;
import vtk.vtkConeSource;
import vtk.vtkPanel;
import vtk.vtkPolyDataMapper;

import javax.swing.*;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.WindowAdapter;
import java.awt.event.WindowEvent;

/**
 *  A very basic application that simple displays a cone using vtkPanel.
 *  Close the window to exit aplication.
 */
public class SimpleCone extends JPanel {

  /**
   *
   */

public SimpleCone() {
    // Setup VTK rendering panel
    vtkPanel renWin = new vtkPanel();

    // Setup cone rendering pipeline
    vtkConeSource cone = new vtkConeSource();
    cone.SetResolution(8);

    vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper = new vtkPolyDataMapper();
    coneMapper.SetInput(cone.GetOutput());

    vtkActor coneActor = new vtkActor();
    coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);

    renWin.GetRenderer().AddActor(coneActor);
    renWin.setSize(300, 300);

    // Place renWin in the center of this panel
    setLayout(new BorderLayout());
    add(renWin, BorderLayout.CENTER);
  }

  public static void main(String s[]) {
    SimpleCone panel = new SimpleCone();

    JFrame frame = new JFrame("SimpleCone");
    frame.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
      public void windowClosing(WindowEvent e) {
        System.exit(0);
      }
    });
    frame.getContentPane().add("Center", panel);
    frame.pack();
    frame.setVisible(true);
  }
}