[vtkusers] Problem with ParallelIso example..

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Tue Dec 19 09:12:30 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 17:13 +0100, Mario wrote:
> Hi all,
> I ran the parallelIso example from
> vtk\examples\parallelprocessing\generic with MPI on two desktop PCs
> connected via LAN and I had not speed-up but it takes really much time
> more than on a single machine.. What's the problem?

There is no problem. In fact you should expect it to be slower!

VTKData/Data/headsq/* is only 1.5 megabytes and LAN is not a fancy low
latency interconnect. There will be more time spent communicating
between the nodes than each node will spend doing any calculations.
Usually when the amount of data increases the situation should reverse
and you will see a speed up.