[vtkusers] Linking errors when building VTK 5.0.2 on Mac OS 10.4.8 (Intel) with Python 2.4.4

Zachary Heaton zheaton at scitec.com
Fri Dec 15 22:46:54 EST 2006

On 15 Dec 2006, at 11:03, Sean McBride wrote:

> On 2006-12-14 17:24, Zachary Heaton said:
>
>> I've also tried building from the latest CVS instead of the stable
>> 5.0.2 release, with the same results.  Has anyone on the list had
>> success or failures in building VTK in a similar configuration?  If
>> success, what differences did your configuration have?  If failure,
>> did your installation fail at the same point or at a different point?
>
> One of my build machines is similar:
>
> <http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/RogueResearchi386/MacOSXTiger-i386-
> carbon/20061215-0300-Nightly/Notes.html>
>
> I don't know anything about Python, and I didn't install it (just
> using
> what came with the OS).  All I did was set VTK_WRAP_PYTHON to ON.
>
> Are you sure the Python you installed in not ppc-only?

The Python I have is indeed a Universal build.

It turned out that my problem was that cmake was linking against a
different Python executable which had been installed by Macports,
using the PYTHON_EXECUTABLE flag.  (The moral of the story appears to
be that ccmake is not a good tool for those who have installed
multiple copies of frameworks that VTK links against - to be sure
that cmake is linking against the correct frameworks, it seems to be
a good idea to manually inspect the CMakeCache.txt file.)

Thanks for your assistance, and a confirmation that the configuration
error was on my end.

Regards,
Zach Heaton