[vtkusers] Advantage of C++ for large datasets

Elizabeth Nitao enitao at craft-tech.com
Thu Aug 31 19:32:58 EDT 2006

Dear all,
What advantages are there to use VTK with C++ instead of Tcl/Tk?  Faster
runtime?

I am constructing huge grids using VTK with Tcl.  For a grid which
exceeds around 300,000 nodes and 800,000 different cells (vtkTetras,
vtkPyramids, vtkWedges, vtkHexadrons), it appears that this dataset is
too large to be constructed.  I receive the error message "unable to
alloc ... bytes"  Are there any suggestions as to what to use in order
to visualize large datasets in Tcl/Tk widgets?  I have tried the VTK FAQ
suggestions regarding large datasets but have not had any success.

Thanks!
Elizabeth